--------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Book Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is Greg Huffley's non-diary of summer.  Greg, however, does not want to leave the house - he would rather spend all his break inside playing video games.  His mother has other ideas, ones that include visiting the public pool, reading classics, and earning his own money, all of which just might ruin Greg's summer. 

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days


Things I Liked:
These books are always good for a laugh.  It is fun to read about Greg's way of viewing things, since it is so realistic it's hilarious.  There are so many good anecdotes and funny quotes, I hope you will check this one out when you need a good laugh.  I also always get a kick out of the awesome illustrations.  Here's one of my favorite parts:
"The first time I walked through the men's locker room at the town pool was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life.  I'm probably lucky I didn't go blind.  Seriously, I don't see why Mom and Dad bother to try and protect me from horror movies and stuff like that if they're gonna expose me to something about a thousand times worse." p7
And I simply couldn't resist this quote:
"I'm not really sure what makes a book a 'classic' to begin with, but I think it has to be at least fifty years old and some person or animal has to die at the end." p37
Things I Didn't Like:
Greg seemed even more like a brat than I remember.  I would hate to have him as a younger brother or a friend (poor Rowley), but perhaps that is just because it is pretty true to life.

Read-alikes:
Read all the other Diary of a Wimpy Kid books
Reminds me of The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman
Also like The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. Is that a new header? I love it!

    Isn't it great when authors capture teens so well that you want to hate the protagonist? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and the best part about the Diaries? KIDS ARE READING THEM! We have 2 copies of each in our school library, and they are never on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all let me say I absolutely love the old book in the header. I collect old books so I find your site very charming. I especially like the fact that you tell what you both like and did not like about the books you are reading. I have never been put off by what someone didn't like because we all bring our own background experiences and reading likes and dislikes to the table. I look forward to seeing other books that you review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so far behind in the Wimpy Kids series - I've only read the first one! The other ones are really hard to find, because kids always have them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt, thank you! I totally agree that he captured the essence of the obnoxious tween.

    Bill, that really is the best part. Any series that gets kids reading is fantastic!

    Sandra, thank you so much (the book is in a Czech Bible museum). I agree that many of the things in my didn't like (and liked) sections are individual to me. That's what makes it so fun to discuss books with other people!

    Caroline, how sad for you, but how happy for the kids :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015