--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Book Review: Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Sentpicks up the story where Found left off, with Jonah and Katherine traveling with Chip and Alex back to where they came from. Chip and Alex, who are actually Edward V and Richard of Shrewsbury, find themselves at the mercy of their uncle Richard III, who stole the throne from Edward. After he tries to have them killed, Chip and Alex, with the help of Jonah and Katherine, must find a way to change history - and to keep from being killed.

Sent (Missing)

Things I Liked:
I think Haddix has created a series that will make learning history much easier and more fun. Kids will love the adventure and the suspenseful action parts, and also learn a bit about history. I thought the science fiction and time travel elements were very good as well. It kept me on my toes and now I am invested in the characters and will want to continue the series.

Things I Didn't Like:
Some of the things the kids say sound weird and a bit awkward. The dialog seemed a little off, but otherwise very enjoyable.

Read-alikes:
Read Found, the first in the series
Reminded me of Haddix's Shadow Childrenseries
Also a bit like Catherine, Called Birdyand The Midwife's Apprenticeby Karen Cushman

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
very few

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
a battle scene, but not much description

Overall rating: ****

Anybody else love books that teach kids something all while entertaining them too?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015