--------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Oh Christmas Books, Oh Christmas Books!

I only read two Christmas books this year, and I am sorry to say, I did not really enjoy either of them.  I am doing a little combined review post for both of them.

Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright
The short tale of a woman so caught up in her quest to write the perfect story and become the best journalist, that she almost misses the delights of giving when she meets a family with a very unique Christmas tradition.


Christmas Jars

I know lots of people loved this book, but I found it a little bit too cheesy for me.  I honestly groaned a few times at the most predictable and corny parts.  The idea behind Christmas jars and giving was really lovely, but I simply found all the writing and story around it to be too much for me.

Secrets of a Christmas Box by Steven Horby (review copy provided by publisher)
When Larry, a snowman ornament, wakes up on the Christmas tree and can't find his brother, he sets off with his friends on a dangerous mission to find him.  But, they may uncover a dreadful secret that changes all their lives.


Secrets of a Christmas Box

I really struggled to even finish this one.  The writing was very trite, with over-simplified wording and extremely aggravating punctuation (the ellipses really got to me).  The story might make a cute little read-aloud to very young children, but I didn't really enjoy any of it.

What are some of your favorite Christmas books?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas books, and we have a pile that I've never read. They all seem overly cheesy and emotionally manipulating... or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read any Christmas books this year, at least not adult ones. I agree with Suey - almost all of them are cheesy and overly sentimental (esp. CHRISTMAS JAR - ugh). I do enjoy kids' Christmas books, though - HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS, POLAR EXPRESS, 'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS, etc.

    Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Christmas Jar is sitting here waiting for me to read for a book club. :(

    I didn't read any Christmas books this year... other than picture books with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read any Christmas books this year for that same reason - too silly! Oh well better luck next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suey, I have to agree with you. I haven't read any good ones yet that didn't try to be too cheesy.

    Susan, I think I'll stick with picture books from now on. :)

    Britt, I read it for book group too. At least it's short.

    Amused, as for these two, you didn't miss out on anything :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015