--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 4, 2010

Book Review: Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Eyes Like Stars is the story of Bertie, a girl who just doesn't quite know her place in a world full of fairies, wind spirits, pirates, and other characters.  She lives in the Theatre Illuminata, but not as an actress or as a stage hand.  In fact, her entrance into this place is rather a mystery.  But, when she is forced to prove her worth in order to stay in the only place she's ever known, all kinds of secrets start coming to light.

Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata, Act I


Things I Liked:
The humor is very good and I loved the quirky characters, each with a different and unique personality, even if they were based off characters from plays.  The story is also fairly interesting and I'd say one of a kind.  Here's a taste of the humor:
"Bertie would rather drink gasoline and shove a lit match up her nose than applaud..."p41
"And Peaseblossom - decorous, proper Peaseblossom - dropped her trousers to waggle her naked, pale bottom at the STage Manager. Bertie laughed involuntarily, chocked on her coffee, and nearly died as it came out her nose, but it was worth the searing pain in her nostrils to see the look on the Stage manager's face." p123
Things I Didn't Like:
I think there was not enough information about the mystery in the plot.  It left me feeling unsatisfied, particularly at the ending which was very open for the sequel.  The book will definitely appeal more to theater buffs.  And I hated Ariel with a passion.  Sometimes the writing or the style would feel like MG book, but then they'd smoke or drink or carouse and that would throw me off.

Read-alikes:
It's kind of a stretch, but it felt a bit like Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
maybe one or two

mrg-factor: X
some implied stuff

v-factor: ->
mostly talk

Overall rating: ***

Do you read books about what you do in real life or try to avoid them?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. Eyes like stars is less mystery but still engaging... But to be honest, I purchased it when i read its description on various blogs and also on the online store a1books.co.in before placing an order there. Mystery was the main point of attraction towards this novel..But later when I read it half way through, i realized that its less mystery and more interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anamika, I can see how it is less about the mystery and more about the atmosphere and setting. I guess because I am not really "in to" that kind of setting, I missed what wasn't in the mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015