--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

 *ARC provided by publisher*
Fallen is the story of Luce, who, after a tragic summer accident, ends up at a reform school.  While trying to fit in with the other reform school misfits, she finds herself inexorably drawn to Daniel, a boy who seems both interested and offended at her interest, but who also seems strangely familiar.  Cam, on the other hand, obviously likes Luce and she finds herself also drawn to his charm.  But, when dangerous things begin to happen to her again, Luce finds that there is more to both these boys than meets the eye.

Fallen


Things I Liked:
Despite the rather slow beginning, it was really an engrossing story, with just enough details to intrigue and keep you reading without overwhelming you all at once.  I was pretty caught up in the story and wondering just what would happen next (or sometimes, what stupid thing Luce would do next).  I liked the quirky supporting characters, particularly Arriane and Penn. I guess it was like Twilight in that the story was quite interesting, but not much else.


Things I Didn't Like:
Near the end of the book, things seemed to fall apart a bit.  Despite the things Luce was learning, she was always in the dark.  Not enough was explained to make it feel even somewhat wrapped up.  It leaves plenty for the sequels, but I felt like I had no idea what was happening or why.  I was somewhat disappointed that the publicity and blurbs for the book all gave away the big "reveal" that Luce takes so long to discover.  Also, near the end, the love story began to be much too cheesy and cliche for me to enjoy.


Read-alikes:
Probably like Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (though I haven't read it, yet)

And it did feel rather like Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Reminded me a bit of the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
a few


mrg-factor: X
really only some passionate kissing


v-factor: ->
some fighting with a few frightening images


Overall rating: ****


What are some of your favorite "light-weight" reads - entertaining, but not much else?
If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for this review - I've been seeing this book, but wasn't sure what it was like.

    It feels like it's been awhile since I had a 'light-weight' read because I've been trying to catch up on Printz and Newbery books. I enjoyed the first few Gossip Girl books, I'll admit that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably already know, I too am so bugged by books promoting themselves with giving away the VERY thing the whole book is about. I hate that! And like you say, it takes Luce nearly the whole book to figure out what's going on, yet we the readers, know all if we read anything about it beforehand. So... why read the book? Hmmmm.... I feel I could go on and on... perhaps a post is in order?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, I'm not sure this is quite Gossip Girl fluff (since I haven't read any...), but I think it will definitely distract you from any of those weightier Printz or Newbery award winners :)

    Suey, definitely do a post about it! Seriously? You don't need to spoil the story to market it. It really was too bad.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015