--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 11, 2010

Book Review: If You're Reading This, It's Too Late by Pseudonymous Bosch

If You're Reading This, It's Too Late, since you are already embroiled in this deadly game of secrets. Cass and Max-Ernst are waiting impatiently to be initiated into a very secret society, but in the mean time, they become caught up in Dr. L and Ms. Mauvais' latest scheme for power.  Will they have what it takes to become a member of the society, or rather, will they even survive until they can become members?  Only reading this book will tell, though I certainly hope you won't pick it up, since it's filled with horrible secrets.




Things I Liked:
Oh how I love the sarcasm and snarky nature of these books.  Pseudonymous is a master of stating humorous nothings.  He manages to write a funny story without intending to.  I always get a kick out of the footnotes and the ever-present author's fear and reluctance to write the story, especially the "lost chapter."  Here's a sample of his humor:
"Readers, you're all the same.  Spoiled, every last one of you.  Lying there with your feet up, yelling for someone to bring you more cookies.  (Don't tell me they're chocolate chip because then I'll be really mad!)  I'm sorry, I didn't mean that - this whole writing business is making me crazy." p8
Things I Didn't Like:
The ending seemed a bit flat after all the build up.  It also seemed wrapped up enough that there may not need to be sequels, though I imagine there will be.

Read-alikes:
Start with The Name of This Book is Secret (first in the series)
Reads like A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Also a bit like The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

Sarcasm is a very hard thing to do right - any favorite snarky books?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage,
I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I really want to try these books. I saw Mr. Bosch, complete with sunglasses and a mustache, at the Texas Book Festival in August, and I've been planning to read at least the first in his series ever since then. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fabulous! I didn't know Bosch ever did author visits. I imagine they are really something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really like to check out this series. I read and really enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society. Thanks for your review!

    Oh, and Christopher Moore is fun snarkiness at its best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I've never read any Christopher Moore! I'll have to check him out.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015