--------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Scents

 A Bit of Me(Me) is hosted by Danielle of There's a Book.

This week's question asks, what is your favorite smell.  Why does it always seem like the questions are too hard for me to answer?  As always, I have a hard time picking just one thing to call my favorite.  There are so many things that come to mind when I think of smells I love.  I think I'll only go for two this time, though.

First smell: pine

Photobucket

I love to be outdoors.  And, since summer always makes me feel like camping, I thought of the delightful smells that awaken you in the early morning when camping.  I love how natural and clean it smells.  From having been camping nearly every year since I was six, it always comes with loads of memories of those previous trips.  [I've written a guest post for Callista of SMS Book Reviews' Great Camping Event, so if you want to know more than you ever did about my camping life, be sure to check out her site July 26-August 6.] Pine scent evokes great family memories and peaceful feelings.  Hm, perhaps I ought to bring something pine scented to work with me! :)

Second smell: apricots


Another summer smell for me.  Growing up, we had four or five huge apricot trees in our yard.  Every year there were hundreds of apricots that would get ripe all at once.  We'd spent cool mornings and hot afternoons picking bucket after bucket.  Then, when we couldn't manage to give away enough of them, my mother would make fruit leather (rather like fruit roll-ups).  The smell of apricots would fill the house and it was such a trial to not poke our fingers in the soft goo left to dry in the sun.  Despite hating having to pick them, my mouth still waters at that smell.

What's your favorite scent?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

7 comments :

  1. I have plans to hopefully participate in this feature today...and I already had the idea to say pine for of my favorites... well mountains really, which is a mixture of pine, dirt, aspen, wind and wild flowers perhaps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I'd have to say the scent of icing. It smells AND tastes good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great question! I'd say the smell of 'home', magnolias, Mom's meatloaf, and fresh brewed coffee top my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite camping smell is actually the smell of breakfast being cooked on the camp stove! Eggs and bacon smell good enough as it is, but when you're hungry from being outside, I think they smell even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of the mountains, there's something about the open-ness of it all that feels so clean.

    You had to go and mention apricots! Seriously if I could pick a food from my childhood that brings back more memories than I can count. My grandfather was a farmer and every summer, like you, we would pick the buckets of apricots, clean them, cut them in half drying some and freezing others. My grandmother always made the best apricot turnovers! It's something I long to have again.

    Thank you so much for sharing! It's so nice to relive such great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen got me sidetracked with her comment about bacon. I want bacon now.

    I like that you picked two, I don't think there are rules. Keep going. Camping makes me happy too. Just thinking of it, I can smell the trout sizzling on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suey, I'll have to read yours!

    Lauren, mmm - now I crave icing.

    Bookshelf Monstrosity, I love the smell of home too. Nothing like being reminded of childhood :)

    Jen, this post is making me hungry...

    1stdaughter, oh the apricots. Good thing they are nearly ripe for us - I've got to have some now!

    Gwen, I'm so glad I'm going camping this weekend, otherwise I'd be sad.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015