--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Review: I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Publication date: June 2010
ISBN: 9780545088183

Source: ARC provided by publisher

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else 

Bronwen Oliver is certain she was switched at birth.  She can't possibly be related to her blonde and gorgeous mother or her practically perfect brother.  They none of them have a meaningful relationship either.  After her father died, they all retreated into themselves.  Which is why when she starts dating Jared Sondervan, she falls completely in love with him and his normal family.  When she agrees to marry him, she is ready to finally have the family she's always wanted.  But when the date moves closer, she begins to wonder if that's what she wants, or who she is. 

Things I Liked:
This was a interesting look at a girl trying to figure out who she is.  I liked the way we slowly discover her past and why she is so anxious to be with Jared and his family.  Some very heartbreaking things happened to her and still seem to happen.  It was a rather natural development of her relationship with Jared and where it goes.  I also liked how it had a pretty solid romance - they didn't fall in love at first sight, but slowly and with small steps.  It was a fairly unique take on a girl discovering herself.


Things I Didn't Like:
I definitely thought this would relate more to college aged young adults than teens.  While Bronwen is seventeen at the beginning of the book, I still think she it is more appealing to slightly older populations.  Not very many juniors/seniors in high school are wanting to get married.  The way Jared acts early on and the way he acts later seem a little inconsistent, like it was contrived so she had to make certain choices later on.  I was rather surprised by one part of the ending: *spoiler warning* how very completely she severed her relationship with Jared seemed unrealistic, considering how much they both cared for each other and considering what happened later.  *end spoiler* 


Read-alikes:
Maybe a little like The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson


BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
not very many


mrg-factor: X
just some passionate kissing


v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

Anybody know how this book is being received by teens? I'm wondering if it really does appeal more to young adults.

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed this book. The author was actually my neighbor growing up, so I was actually MORE nervous to read it . . . I wouldn't have known how to react if I didn't like it. Luckily that wasn't an issue--I couldn't put this book down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, I'm still waiting for someone I know to do that. But, I can imagine it might be hard if you didn't like it...

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015