--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, October 18, 2010

Listless Monday, Spooky & Creepy Edition

Listless Monday was inspired by both Amanda at A Bookshelf Monstrosity's feature Books by Theme and Court at Once Upon a Bookshelf's Listed feature.  Be sure to check out their lists!

Chasing BrooklynDirty Little SecretsTorment (Fallen)JaneRuined: A NovelBad Girls Don't Die 
I love these creepy covers!

I'll be the first to admit, I am not a fan of scary books.  I don't usually read books that I know will freak me out.  (Obviously, I don't watch scary movies for the same reason - they freak me out more.)  But, I do enjoy, now and then, a spooky or creepy book that gives me just the right amount of chill factor, but won't give me nightmares.  So, in that vein, here is my list of the spooky and creepy, but definitely not the horrifying.

Spooky & Creepy Edition


The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (suggested by Suey)
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong

The Door in the Dragon's Throat (Cooper Kids Series #1) by Frank Peretti (suggested by BookMaid)
Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox
Forest of Hands and Teeth and The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
House by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti (suggested by BookMaid)
Hush, Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (suggested by amandawk)
Manifest by Artist Arthur

Nieve by Terry Griggs
Once a Witch by Carolyn Mackler

The Passage by Justin Cronin  (suggested by amandawk)
Prophecy of the Sisters and Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (suggested by Suey)
The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
Ruined by Paula Morris
Sleepless by Cyn Balog

Spellbinder by Helen Stringer
The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (suggested by Suey)  
Wildthorn by Jane Eagland
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins  (suggested by Suey)  

Any additions?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. A Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
    The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

    ...just to name a few of the very top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Ruined and Rebecca. Also on my list would be Let the Right One in, and The Passage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Coraline to my 7th graders right now. It's pretty fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a great deal really scary books for the same reason you gave. :) The extent of my scary book list would be the first book in the Cooper Kids series by Frank E. Peretti and "House" by Ted Dekker and Frank E. Peretti. "House" totally creeped me out; the worst thing being... I didn't really get it at the end. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suey, yeah for suggestions! I've added them. I really want to read The Replacement!

    amandawk, ooh I forgot the Passage. It was creepy, even if I had no clue what was going on.

    Bookshelf Monstrosity, I bet the kids are loving that!

    BookMaid, glad to know I'm not the only one who gets scared so easily. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015