--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Book Review: He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott

He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication date: June 2011
Pages: 368
Source: e-copy of ARC provided by GalleyGrab

For: Review
Series: He's So/She's So, Book 2


Ally's life has certainly gotten a lot more complicated.  After the disaster at Shannen's party where she realized her friends really don't want her, she retreats into a different life.  In order to avoid her almost-boyfriend, Jake, she will do almost anything - including possibly spending the summer on Long Island where all of her former friends will be.  Can things get any more complicated?  Of course they can.

Things I Liked:
I'm kind of hooked on the twisty, soap opera-y life that is displayed here.  The rich, the poor, the envy, the malice, the hate and the hurt - all so engrossing.  It's so horrifying that it's interesting.  I really don't much like Ally in this book.  She acts like a jerk almost through the whole thing, treating her friends and family like dirt and then wondering why they're angry.  The book almost seems like a manual for how to be selfish.  Still, it's like I can't look away from these teens who struggle to figure out themselves while making tons of awful mistakes.  It's definitely got that real feel to it!


Things I Didn't Like:
I really was annoyed with how stupid the characters acted sometimes.  Yes, it is very likely realistic, but it still bugs.  I got very tired of Jake swearing every other word.  Seriously, I get it, he swears, but do I have to keep getting hit in the face with it?  I'm not sure I can handle another book of this, but of course this one ends on a ridiculous cliff-hanger revelation.  We'll see.


Read-alikes:
Read the first book, She's So Dead to Us first
Populazzi by Elise Allen
The Real Real by Emma Mclaughlin and Nicola Kraus

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@#$%
a lot with numerous f-words


mrg-factor: XX
plenty of page time, though not a lot of descriptive material


v-factor: none
but I thought I'd mention lots of underage alcohol consumption here


Overall rating: ***

Not exactly something I'd "recommend," but somehow it's addicting, like bad reality TV.

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. I'm kinda obsessed with these dumb books too. I should check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review cracked me up! That last line about it being addicting, like bad reality tv is really well-put. I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, only if you want to be more obsessed :)

    Christy, some weird part of human nature to be attracted to these kinds of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - this doesn't have anything to do with the book you reviewed, but I realized I never responded to your comment about the event at CH on Saturday. I would love to go, but it's my daughter's birthday and we're doing a friend party, family dinner, etc., so it's going to be a long and busy day. Sorry :( I would love to meet you, so let's find another event that works for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, no worries! We'll finally meet someday... Have fun at the parties!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015