--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Review: Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

BTW, thank you all so much for your support and enthusiasm following my announcement last week - you are all so wonderful and supportive!  I love being a part of this great blogging community :)

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Publication date: March 2012
Pages: 264
Source: Library
For: Book Group

When Marianne is invited to visit with her sister at a country estate, she is more than happy to escape her life in Bath. What she doesn't expect is to be completely thrown off balance by a young man who manages to surprise her at every turn. And when her sister arrives, intending very much to snag the man of the house, things begin to get a little bit more than interesting.

Things I Liked:

As I mentioned in my favorites from 2012 post, this book reminded me just why I love to read Jane Austen and old fashioned romance stories.  I loved the way the love story developed between Phillip and Marianne.  It was slow, sweet, and good.  I loved the period details, though they were pretty light and I enjoyed watching the story unfold.  I found myself completely immersed, especially in the interactions between the two.  The dialog was lively and the chemistry between them felt perfect.  Honestly, I just felt so good and happy after reading it, that I don't care about its flaws.  A darn good read.

Things I Didn't Like:
I know the writing and style were not at the same level as Jane Austen or even Heyer.  The plot was pretty predictable from the beginning; it stretched believability a few times.  But, as I mentioned, I noticed none of this and simply enjoyed the ride.  I love to be able to do that sometimes.


Read-alikes:
Anything Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer


BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: *****

I really need to read more historical fiction like this.  Any great suggestions?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

12 comments :

  1. I just finished this book. I'm afraid hearing the audio ruined it for me. If she said she was going "twirl" or "flirt" one more time........But everyone in my book club has loved it. I should have read it. I don't think it would have annoyed me as much. I'll probably like it better after we discuss it. I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh too bad about the audio! Though, I can imagine being annoyed by those words :( Hopefully you'll like it a bit better!

      Delete
  2. I need to read this one! Everyone seems to be loving how sweet it is. I need that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was cute/quaint...but didn't rock my world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see that being the case for a lot of people. I guess it kind of depends on when you read it/where you are/what you need at the time. And I guess I wouldn't say it rocked my world either, though I truly enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. I just finished this -- seriously, like 15 minutes ago -- and I feel the exact same way you do. The story's predictable, cliche and not nearly as subtly charming as Austen, but I still thought it was cute and enjoyable. A fun read, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it - I look forward to reading your thoughtful review of the book!

      Delete
  5. I love that you loved it! It's so good. And, I like what you said in the "Things I didn't like" section. It's so true and yet it doesn't make a difference to me because I still love it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy we can still overlook flaws and things to truly enjoy a book!

      Delete
  6. This book sounds like such an enjoyable read. I definitely need to read it!

    Clean Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015