--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Book Review: Sabotaged by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Sabotaged by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Publisher: Recorded Books
Publication date: August 2010
Length: 9 hrs
Source: Audiobook from Library
Series: The Missing, Book 3

Summary from goodreads: *spoilers are inevitable for the first two books*
After helping Chip and Alex survive 15th century London, Jonah and Katherine are summoned to help another missing child, Andrea, face her fate. Andrea is really Virginia Dare, from the Lost Colony of Roanoke. Jonah and Katherine are confident in their ability to help Andrea fix history, but when their journey goes dangerously awry, they realize that they may be in over their head. They've landed in the wrong time period. Andrea doesn't seem that interested in leaving the past. And even worse, it appears that someone has deliberately sabotaged their mission...

Things I Liked:
I'm always up for fun time travel adventures that help me learn more about history.  This series is pretty entertaining with a unique premise that keeps you invested in the characters.  I definitely knew next to nothing about the Roanoke colony, so this was really interesting to learn more about.  In fact, I think reading anything about such a strange historical mystery would be interesting.  The ending will definitely leave you dying to know what happens next.  The narrator, Chris Sorensen, was good, but not outstanding.

Things I Didn't Like:
I think that this is one book that reminded me why I am not the target audience for MG reads.  The plot twists were ridiculously obvious and I really, really wanted to smack Jonah for being so slow!  He always took ridiculously long catching on to social cues and what was happening.  Admittedly, this happens often enough that the other characters make mention of it, so it is probably intentional.  But it really annoyed me continually and I couldn't enjoy it much when I was so constantly bothered.  I'll probably keep reading the series, though, just to see what happens next (and what annoying person from history Jonah is).

Read-alikes:
Not much I can think of (sorry, feeling brain dead :)
Start with the first two books, Found and Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none
that I recall

mrg-factor: none 

v-factor: -> 
a little bit of fighting

Overall rating: *** 

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015