--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, October 26, 2015

Book Review: The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Publication date: January 2015
Pages: 336
Source: Library
For: Fun!
Series: Conspiracy of Us, Book 1

Summary (from goodreads):
Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.
 
Things I Liked:
This was a super fun, fast-paced adventure book.  Definitely it will appeal to fans of Ally Carter (as all the marketing mentioned) - it reminded me of her Gallagher Girls books.  I like reading books that seem like an action film sometimes.  I don't think I could read many of them in a row, but it's a nice break.  I found the historical stuff a bit fascinating, if vague, and wished there was more to it.  I was entertained through the whole thing.

Things I Didn't Like:
It was heavy on story and action, not so much characters.  I didn't care much for Avery - she made some seriously stupid choices, including hopping on a plane to Paris with total strangers without telling her mom.  I don't think that's a spoiler, it's pretty early on that it happens.  The romance is ok, though I was swooning during some of the kissing. There aren't many twists I didn't see coming, but I still pretty much enjoyed the read.  I'll probably read the sequels and feel pretty much the same way :)

Read-alikes:
Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter

Felt a lot like a National Treasure movie
It's also been compared to The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
I think maybe one or two

mrg-factor: none
kissing!

v-factor: ->
a bit of action stuff

Overall rating: ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. Funny that it should be compared to Ally Carter's books. She too is heavy on plot. I love plot but I need a good character too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not some serious character development here, but I love Ally Carter's characters :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, if it's kind of a grown up Gallagher Girls book, I'm in. This does sound like a fast, fun, action-filled read. I agree -- I probably wouldn't want to read a bunch of them in a row, but as a break between more serious books? Sure. Thanks for reminding me about this one! Glad you enjoyed it, even if the characters fell flat.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015