--------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Book Review: The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy

The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
Publisher: Several (I read Kindle edition)
Publication date: first published 1921
Source: Free on Kindle
For: Fun
Series: The Forsyte Chronicles #1-3

Summary (if that's even possible) (from goodreads):
The three novels which make up The Forsyte Saga chronicle the ebbing social power of the commercial upper-middle class Forsyte family between 1886 and 1920. Galsworthy's masterly narrative examines not only their fortunes but also the wider developments within society, particularly the changing position of women.
My Thoughts:
Crazy, epic story. Impossible to summarize and just so broad that I don't even know where to start. I love the real characters, you get into everyone's head and you see what makes them tick. I love to love the "good" characters and love to hate the "bad" ones, even though you can see that there are neither kind, really. Just everyone mixed up with good and bad. I especially loved the family gossip sessions, that sounded so real and just what a lot of family gatherings tend to be like. I thought it was interesting and I did like watching generations of the same family struggle to understand each other and change. I also found that I was terribly bored during vast amounts of the book. Sometimes, characters went off on enormous tangents and I lost interest. It took me months and months (possibly a year?) to finish this epic. Now what I really need is to watch the mini-series (or whatever it is), so I can see it all at once, succinctly.

Read-alikes:
Uh, I have no idea

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
a handful here and there

mrg-factor: X
implied stuff, of course

v-factor: ->
a little bit

Overall rating: ***

2 comments :

  1. No way I could slog through this one. I saw the mini series and had lots of fun with it but it was enough. No book for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get the mini series - that probably would have been enough for me too :)

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015